Friday, April 2, 2010

Inaugural Post : Hum Fauji blog - the wealth creator for faujis

I, Col (retd) Sanjeev Govila, have created this blog as a link to my website www.humfauji.com, two days after taking premature retirement (PMR) from the Indian Army on 31 Mar 2010. This blog is to act as a direct link between the website and the visitors in a very informal manner - something that a medium as formal as a website can never do.
The very first thing that I wish to write on this blog is the reason why I have created my company and taken this 'Initiative' which, as far as I know, has not been ever attempted earlier.
My initiative through my company 'Hum Fauji Initiatives' is to create a medium through which I can provide financial stability to the otherwise chaotic lives of us faujis. Throughout my almost 27 years of fauji career (31 years, if NDA and IMA are also included!!), I have seen a general apathy towards something as fundamentally important to us as management of our own hard-earned money. Though the trend is thankfully changing, but just about so. The dominant view still prevalent in the fauj is that we officers should not indulge in something as petty as management of money. Somebody indulging in shares or property is still looked down upon, though his wealth so created is looked at with jealousy - a sheer dichotomy indeed. But apart from a problem of our own mindset, there is a real problem related to our professional hazards too.
The way we move around every 2-3 years or even earlier, and the kind of places we get posted to, there is no real financial help available except one odd LIC agent, who, with his very limited knowledge (but good oratory skills), makes us believe that an insurance policy is the best saving instrument under the sun. Consequently, many of us have a large number of insurance policies of all hues. And by the time we realise (if at all!) that we have have been saddled with lemons, there is not much that we can do. I have always maintained that, as Class I Gazetted officers, we have a fairly good pay which can easily ensure that we lead a good life while in service as also after our retirement. However, what is required is its good management. This last part is what we are neither able to do ourselves nor able to get good help to do at a resonable cost.
The last two words of 'reasonable cost' are very important. There are any number of portfolio managers available especially in large metros who are scouting around for HNIs (High Networth Individuals). Though competition has ensured that they are ready to manage portfolios worth just about Rs 5 Lakhs too, their expenses are so high that most of us would just cringe back. The question is - does it really cost so much to manage anybody's portfolio? My calculations have shown that it is merely a case of unlimited greed and hype around Portfolio Management Services (PMS) that these people charge so much, which puts it well beyond the reach of middle class - in fact, the class that needs such services the most.
This brings me to the reason why I decided to launch this 'Initiative'. I have seen so many proud faujis in my life who lead great lives as long as they are in service and have got all the fauji facilities. But the day they retire, they are literally out on the streets. Many of them don't even have a single house and they regularly dip into their retirement money for routine expenses. What happens a few years down the line is just a nightmare. Consequently, just to make ends meet and to discharge their balance of responsibilities, they have to work till late into their retired lives. At times I have seen many such retired officers take up jobs which definitely are low and unthinkable by any standard. A little financial prudence during the service or sane timely financial advice would have easily avoided such a situation. I have decided to take up this challenge and offer financial services targeted solely at faujis at rates which just about meet my costs. Of course, I aim to survive myself by generating volumes - hoping that people will realise the wisdom in what I am attempting to do and my noble intention behind this risk that I am taking for myself. Though approved for the next rank of Brigadier myself, I have refused it just to be able to fulfill my long-standing ambition of giving back to this great institution of Indian Army in a small manner, what I have got from it in plenty in the past 30 years or so.
I have tried to be as accessible as possible - through landline, Cell-phone (Voice as also SMS), website, email and this blog apart from the usual letter by snail-mail. I aim to make available the entire range of professional financial services - wealth accumulaion, planning for children, retirement planning, mutual funds, property across 25 cities, Income Tax returns through GHQ(IT) Pune and insurance - but the main thrust of my company remains the long-term goal-based financial planning which, through a system of regular though small investments, makes sure that you get the minimum two houses before you retire, get your children the best of education, and a comfortable retirement and other goals if you start early enough. My team, which consists of experts in almost all the fields that are connected to a fauji's finances, is able and dedicated enough to ensure a quick delivery of all that we promise.
I hope that I am able to achieve what I have dreamt all these years and able to make a difference to the lives of my brethren in fauj!!

13 comments:

  1. I decided to go through the entire length of your post just b'coz i know of your sincerity, brains and calibre. the vision is very noble indeed.
    what u have set out to do is the need of the hour for faujis like us.
    i have been managing my own portfolios etc. but looking fwd to enrich myself from this blog as well as the web site.
    all the best.
    sanjeev devasthali

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sanjeev,

    This is to wish you the very best in this very noble task of creating wealth for our Fauji Bretheren.

    For those who do not know Sanjeev Govila, he has had a brilliant career and has been a topper throughout. He is extremely sincere, hardworking, committed and innovative in his approach. I have known Sanjeev for the past 30 years and can vouch for his credibility and calibre.

    Sanjeev, I feel extremely privileged to be your first customer. I look forward to being your long term customer and am absolutely confident that your advice will greatly help in increasing my wealth. I am specially impressed by the very reasonable rates being charged by you for your wealth management services.

    I would request all Fauji Friends to repose their trust and faith on Sanjeev. I am absolutely confident that Sanjeev can greatly contribute towards growing your wealth.

    Best Regards,
    Col SP Yadav (Retd)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sanjeev,
    Here's wishing you all the best for your new venture.Great step to take man!
    We are sure it will be a great success in your able hands.
    With best wishes,
    Gowry & Chander Puri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Govila Sir

    I will not be wrong in saying " A very noble cause"
    The way we spend our life in uniform, moving from one station to another, most of us hardly get any time to think about financial aspects, and after retirement (PMR or otherwise) they really hit you hard.
    I am sure that your website will provide quality financial guidance to all our fauji bretheren.

    I wish you all the success in the endavour.

    Best Wishes
    Col ( Retd) Navneet Kumar Ghai

    By the way everyone should know that Col Govila has been my Wealth Manager since the day of my retirement and i would strongly recommend his name to one and all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear col Sanjeev Sir,
    conngratulations and all the best.
    I am amongst those who have shown confidence in your initiative. your profile misses a small but important asset.....IIMA
    Best Wishes
    Lt Col Rajkumar Mann

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sir,

    I am convinced that this will grow into something really big - and very shortly. You have been able to blaze a trail in an area where a need exists, and with your credentials and zeal it can't but.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Col Govila Sir,
    wish you all the best and will get in touch with you. This is indeed a step towards a noble cause.
    regards
    Vibhu

    ReplyDelete
  8. DEAR GOVILA SIR

    THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR EARNEST ENDEAVOUR.WE ALL WILL SURELY BENEFIT FROM YOUR GUIDANCE AND KNOWLEDGE. WISHING YOU ALL THE BEST.

    WARM REGARDS

    VIKAS SAMYAL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sir,

    Never knew that something which we used to discuss in our bus sojourns would turn out to be so big. Got to know about it from Hari Sir who joins Everon Education in Chennai from 01 Oct 2010. Great going Sir. Heartiest congratulations - maybe someday I will be able to chip in your noble endeavour.

    Best Regards
    Pronob
    royp@un.org

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am specially impressed by the very reasonable rates being charged by you for your wealth management services.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sir,

    Its indeed a very happy feeling to know about your noble endeavour. I see It as a bridge between my resources and my dreams. I am glad its yours, having known you all these years. All the very best.

    regards

    ReplyDelete
  12. sir,
    i need help
    I am from the Navy (submarines), and have a group insurance cover of 20 lakhs. I am 39 yrs old, married and have a daughter aged 9. My monthly income post all deductions is 60,000.00. Wife is a housewife. I had purchased an LIC (money back) insurance policy in 2009 for 10 lakhs and am paying a premium of 68,000.00 per annum. I have bought a house in the year 2000 with a loan of 5 lakhs and my EMI is just 4200/month. In addition i also save about Rs 10,000/month in my DSOP (PF account). In addition i have a future generali life insurance policy (Future freedom) for which i pay Rs 50,000 per annum the last premium for which would be paid in Dec 11. By now you would have realised what a mess my finances are in. I want to sort this out and get organised. My specific Qs are:-

    a. Do i need the LIC policy considering that i already have a group insurance of 20 lakhs and mine is apensionable service?
    b. Can i quit a LIC policy in between after 3 yrs?
    c. What are my best investment options?
    d. Iam looking to buy another house in Noida, would it be a right choice?

    Please GUIDE

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Sir,
    Thanx for managing my portfolio.
    Today i feel secure. For this sense of security , minimal efforts by me and max by you and your team.
    Regards
    RAJKUMAR MANN

    ReplyDelete